Thursday, January 12, 2012

January 2, 2012 - Week 2 here!

Mom and Dad!!

Hey thanks for your letters so much!!!  I love to see how things are going there!  I´m so mad though my camera cord won´t work here so I can´t send any pictures!!  I´m so bummed out!  My companion said he had to buy an adapter so I guess thats what i´ll have to do.  So i´ll try again next week I guess!  I want you guys to see this place so bad! Its crazy.  Right now its soooo hot.  Especially today.  But that sounds like you had a lot of fun on new years!  I´m glad you could play some ping pong.  For new years here we spent it with some family that were just baptized.  It was really cool but they played music like the whole time and I did´t know what to do.  I just tried not to listen to it.  The funny thing is we hear music all the time as we are walking and most of it is from America!  Its funny because no one knows what they are saying.  But yeah new years was like Christmas with tons of fireworks.  We had to be in by 9:30 so it woke us up at 12:00. When we went to the members house they had these things called ¨Globos¨ and basically they are like mini paper hot air balloons.  They light the candle and it rises.  Well the family lit one and it was going up and hit a powerline and bursted in flames and fell in front of house.  It was crazy!!  It was pretty cool though. We got the fire put out so no big deal.  Anyways it sounded like quite the trip to new york and I guess back home as well! Thats crazy you had a 12 hour layover in pheonix! At least you made it home safe. haha  Dad thats funny how you played santa claus! I wish i could have seen that for sure!  I bet that was really hard to say good-bye to them.  I´m so sick of good byes too.  I swear it seems like I make friends here and then we leave each other but luckily I get along with everyone in my district.  I feel a lot better that way.
Well some more news about here is we had 2 of our investagators get shot this past week.  Don´t worry though its not as dangerous as it sounds.  One was one of our investagators husbands(not legally married) and someone stole his motorbike or something and shot him.  the other one was riding his bike in public about 9 or 10 at night and shot him in the leg to rob him but they didn´t take anything.  We gave him a blessing.  Its crazy though.  Thats pretty unusual.  I debated on telling you guys because it makes it sound a lot scarier here than it really is.  But other than that things are coming along good.  Every day I can understand spanish better.  I know its not me doing it.  Its so frusrating because I want to teach people but I don´t know the words well enough.  It is coming slowly but surely.  I wish people could just see the importance of our message.  Some people are funny.  We were teaching this catholic guy and he was trying to tell us Joseph Smith was in the bible and that we didn´t teach him anything new.  It was pretty funny!  Everyday is an adventure here though.  Mostly its a lot of walking.  We were teaching this one guy that knew nothing about church or anything and as we were teaching they just lit up some ciggerettes and offered us some and so as they are smoking we invited them to baptism and one of accepted and seemed really interested.  So it was pretty funny.  I hope he gets baptized but it will be some work for sure.  You have to be legally married before you can get baptized if you are living with someone else.  Most people just say they are married when really they aren´t.   Anyways I love you guys so much and don´t forget that!  And one thing I´ve learned is that getting out of your comfort zone is when you grow the most!  So don´t worry if you get callings in church or anything. haha Its just a chance to grow and better yourself.  There is nothing better than being able to help people come unto Christ! This is the hardest, frustrating, but best experience ever!!  Everyday is sometimes difficult but when we can help someone, it makes it all worth it.  I love you guys so much!!!  Know I think about you guys and pray for you guys every single day.  Best of luck and thanks for being the best parents ever! I can´t thank you enough!
Con Amor,
Elder Peck

No comments:

Post a Comment